03. Can teacher and staff governors be members of the selection panel for headteachers and deputy headteachers?
The declaration of interest by teacher or staff representatives on the governing body in the context of headteacher and deputy headteacher appointments may be contentious. Schools will be well aware of The Government of Maintained Schools (Wales) Regulations 2005, but it is important to remember that:
- Teacher and staff governors do not automatically have to withdraw where their interest is no greater than the generality of teachers in the school.
- Teacher and staff governors are not automatically restricted from taking part in the appointment process as a member of the selection panel.
- Teacher and staff governors cannot be required to withdraw as a result of any consideration of the make-up of the selection panel;
- Teacher and staff governors are required to withdraw only if internal candidates are being considered, whose appointment would clearly result in a vacancy for which they could be a candidate. Such a governor could still take part in the selection panel if he/she has formally agreed in writing not to apply for the vacancy or seek any other benefit arising from it.