Frequently Asked Questions

A complaint has been received from a parent regarding their child’s special educational needs provision. What is the process?

Much will depend on the nature of the complaint. Has the parent spoken to the school SENCO regarding the concern, as they are responsible for coordinating provision for children with SEN.

If the parent’s concerns are regarding Local Authority services e.g. assessment for SEN, then the complaint should be referred to the relevant Local Authority officer.