Updated Summer 2011
Governors Wales is committed to supporting the effective governance of schools and the personal development of governors in Wales. It is hoped therefore, that the information which this handbook contains will be of assistance in helping you to fulfil your role and responsibilities as a governor.
Part 5 has been amended – April 2013
Annual Report to Parents in Part 2 has been amended – March 2013
Disciplinary Procedures in Part 4 has been amended – March 2013
Annual review of headteacher pay in Part 4 has been amended – January 2013
Complaints Procedures in Part 4 has been amended – December 2012
Please note that the policy and documents list in Part 1 has been amended – January 2012
- What is a governor?
- Categories of governors and schools and federated schools
- Support and Training
- What do I need to know?
- How do governors fulfil their responsibilities?
- What exactly do governors do – the accountable role
- The corporate responsibilities of the governing body
- The role of the chair
- What to expect at a governors meeting
- Agenda and minutes
- What can be delegated
- Survive your first governors meeting (for new governors)
- Effective governing body meetings
- Events or responsibilities of governors which require attention annually
- Governors’ Annual Report to Parents
- The three main roles of the governing body
- Is your school effective?
- What evidence do we look for?
- Do all parts of the school perform equally well?
- Can everything important be measured?
- The School Development Plan (SDP)/School Improvement Plan (SIP)
- School Self-Evaluation Report
- How effective is the governing body?
- Personnel issues
- Recruitment and selection
- Grievance, disciplinary and capability procedures
- Annual review of pay of headteachers
- How to handle a complaint
- The governing body and the school budget
- The curriculum
- School inspection
- Pupil behaviour
- School councils – pupil participation
- Local Authorities
- Diocesan Directors of Education
- Useful contact information
- Governors Wales publications
- Services provided by Governors Wales
- Jargon Buster