Learning With Autism - a Whole School Autism Awareness Raising Programme
Article written by Keith Ingram, Autistic Spectrum Disorder Project Lead Officer, Vale of Glamorgan Council
Estimates tell us that around 1 in a 100 children have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder – or ASD – which means there are children with an ASD in most schools, whether diagnosed or not.
Learning with Autism is a programme that has been funded by the Welsh Government and developed by the Welsh Local Government Association to raise awareness of ASD in primary schools. The programme is open to head teachers, teachers, learning support staff, governors and other school staff, and all Key Stage 2 pupils.
After completion of the programme, the school will receive a certificate and a 2 year license to use the ‘learning with autism’ logo and branding.
The programme includes a comprehensive package of resources available at no cost including:
- A short introductory film, introducing the ‘learning with autism’ programme and highlighting the benefits of making adjustments for pupils with ASD, including decreasing challenging behaviours and increasing attainment.
- A self-evaluation tool based on the Estyn inspection framework for schools, which will help schools to identify their current provision and practice, and plan and monitor improvement.
- Training films for teachers and learning support staff, showing some of the challenges faced by children with an ASD during a normal school day.
- Autism: A Guide for Mainstream Primary Schools, a complete guide to understanding and supporting children with an ASD in school.
- Online questionnaires leading to a Certificate in ASD Awareness for teachers and learning support staff.
- a Power Point presentation about the issues involved in autism an online questionnaire leading to a Certificate in ASD Awareness for Governors and non-teaching staff.
- For pupils, there’s an adventure comic-strip, available digitally and as a printed book, featuring positive role models for children and an online pledge, leading to an Autism Superhero Certificate.
- A range of free to access support resources such as an online Child Profile, Childrens’ Picture Cards and an ASD Planner App.
To access the programme visit this website
or to receive support and free hard copies of the materials email ASDinfo@WLGA.gov.uk