A curriculum for Wales – a curriculum for life
A new curriculum for Wales will be developed with education professionals across Wales with the aim of it being available to settings and schools by September 2018.
Schools will have some flexibility in determining how and when they begin first teaching of the new curriculum. The Welsh Government’s ambition is that by 2021 settings and schools will be using the new curriculum to underpin teaching and learning for children and young people aged 3-16.
The four purposes will be at the heart of the new curriculum. They will be the starting point for all decisions on the content and experiences developed as part of the curriculum to support children and young people in Wales to be:
- ambitious, capable learners ready to learn throughout their lives
- enterprising, creative contributors, ready to play a full part in life and work
- ethical, informed citizens of Wales and the world
- healthy, confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society.
Key elements – The new curriculum will include:
- six Areas of Learning and Experience from 3 to 16
- three cross curriculum responsibilities: literacy, numeracy and digital competence
- progression reference points at ages 5, 8, 11, 14 and 16
- achievement outcomes which describe expected achievements at each progression reference point.
The curriculum will be organised into six Areas of Learning and Experience:
- Expressive arts
- Health and well-being
- Humanities (including RE which should remain compulsory to age 16)
- Languages, literacy and communication (including Welsh, which should remain compulsory to age 16, and modern foreign languages)
- Mathematics and numeracy
- Science and technology (including computer science).
- 2015 – 2016: Pioneer Network established
- 2015 – 2018: Design and development phase of the new curriculum
- September 2016: Digital Competence Framework available
- 2017 – 2021: Practical support to schools to prepare for the new curriculum
- September 2018: New curriculum and assessment arrangements available
- September 2021: New curriculum and assessment arrangements in place
CLICK HERE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION