The Governors Wales Annual General Meeting was held at The Media Resource Centre in Llandrindod Wells on Thursday 21st September 2017. Local Governor Associations and groups from across Wales were invited to send representatives.
The annual general meeting received and approved the organisation’s annual report and the audited accounts for the period 1st April 2016 – 31st March 2017.
The main items of discussion at the AGM focused around resolutions submitted in advance, from governor associations, for consideration:
- New Curriculum for Wales and timescales
- Guidance on the use of social media
- Role of school governors in Initial Teacher Training
- The use of the Pupil Development Grant
- Apprenticeship Levy payable by schools
- Funding per pupil in Wales
- Guidance for schools on the underachievement of boys
- Formula for funding for education in Wales
- Safeguarding training for governors
- Additional Learning Needs and Education Tribunal (Wales) Bill and the role of school governors
The resolutions were agreed by delegates and were sent to Welsh Government for their response.
Liz Counsell, HMI, Estyn gave a presentation on the new inspection arrangements from September 2017.
Ieuan Williams from Cynnal (a company that provides ICT support to schools in North Wales) gave delegates further information on new exciting developments for the national governing body self-evaluation template. Cynnal has been working in partnership with Governors Wales and Governor Support Officers in North Wales, to develop an online self-review portal based on the national self-evaluation template to enhance and support the work of governing bodies. For further information on this please contact Ieuan directly on Ieuan@cynnal.co.uk
Please find below some feedback from the day – How will the event have an impact on your role as governor?
- useful to talk to other governors and hear their views. Interesting to see the concerns and issues affecting governors in other areas of Wales;
- as a provider of info to the rest of our governors and obviously improved my own knowledge and learning. Useful info from networking;
- more informed – especially in some critical areas. Feel empowered to challenge and ask questions;
- Estyn input particularly useful from an individual perspective;
- improved knowledge and better governance;
- very informative, hope the online self-evaluation will arrive in south wales very soon, looks excellent;
- good presentation lots of actions highlighted;
- it will help me be better informed, more confident and more resourceful;
- will report back to the governing body of the event with an extension presentation;
- good signposts for CIF & governor self-evaluation. Plus lunch period was very useful meeting with other governors from other regions and Wales to compare experiences and environments;
- provided a strong focus for my work as chair. Excellent forum in the school and role of governors at the school;
- looking forward to using governors self-evaluation tool;
- provided great detail on expectations of GB in Estyn inspection;
- the large number of resolutions highlighted the key issues facing governors;
- provided clear information regarding future changes and will help prepare the school for inspection;
- pursue the self-evaluation review with full governing body and clerk. Encourage clerk to consider the clerk award.